Advertisement for new Sociologia Ruralis Editor-in-Chief
The European Society for Rural Sociology invites individuals to apply for the position of
We are looking for an Editor-in-Chief to succeed Bettina Bock in the position from 2020
Sociologia Ruralis reflects the diversity of European social-science research on rural areas and related issues. Over the past 40 years Sociologia Ruralis has been an international forum for social scientists engaged in social, political and cultural aspects of primary industries such as agriculture, forestry and fisheries and rural development. Sociologia Ruralis covers a wide range of subjects, ranging from farming, natural resources and food systems to rural communities, rural identities and the restructuring of rurality.
The journal is owned by The European Society for Rural Sociology (ESRS), which was founded in 1957, and is the leading European association for scientists who are involved in the study of agriculture and fishery, food production and consumption, rural development and change, rurality and cultural heritage, equality and inequality in rural society, nature and environmental care, and many more.
The Journal is published in four issues per annum, with occasional special issues. The Editor-in-Chief has been Professor Bettina Bock, Wageningen University, Netherlands, since 2013.
The ideal candidates will have: ·
- Broad knowledge of research and practice related to social, political and cultural aspects of agriculture and rural development as well as social sciences more generally
- Excellent track record of research, publications and presentations at conferences related to this field of research
- International recognition for his/her work · An extensive international network of contacts
- Considerable experience as a high quality reviewer, including use of electronic submission systems
- Editorial board experience
- Sound judgement about the conduct of diverse forms of research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good knowledge of the English language and ability to assess the quality of manuscripts in this regard
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Good organisational skills
- Employment at a university or research institution which supports the editorship
- Member of the European Society of Rural Sociology
EDITOR’S JOB DESCRIPTION
- Encouraging submissions to Sociologia Ruralis
- Maintaining a high standard of publications by overseeing review of papers and deciding which should be accepted for publication
- Ensuring submissions to Sociologia Ruralis are reviewed by appropriately qualified and experienced persons
- Communicating promptly in a clear, appropriately critical and constructive manner with authors to reject manuscripts or to request revision in response to referees’ reports and editorial comments
- Ensuring that copy is prepared to the standards required by the Journal and the Publisher
- Keeping in regular communication with the publishers regarding copy flow, the publishing policy of the Journal, citations and other relevant issues
- Appointing members of the Editorial Board
- Communicating regularly with the Editorial Board via email or other electronic means to consult with them about the direction of the journal and quality of submissions, and to inform them regarding the journal’s progress.
- Promoting the journal through the media.
- Working with the Editorial Board and the Publisher to plan a strategy for the development of the journal. Ensuring that the journal fulfils its aims and remains useful and relevant to its users by following trends in the subject area
- Working with the publisher on publicity and promoting the Journal wherever possible through contacts and conferences attended
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Professor Bettina Bock (email@example.com)
Applicants should send a covering letter, curriculum vitae, and a one page summary of how you would pursue the following objectives:
- Encouraging high quality submissions
- Securing high quality reviewers
- Ensuring that the Journal remains useful and relevant to users
- Raising the Journal’s profile to an increasingly digital readership
Deadline for receipt of applications is June 1st 2018.