Special Collection in Support of World Suicide Prevention Day: 10 September 2019
Tuesday 10th September 2019 is World Suicide Prevention Day #WSPD, created by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP).
In support of #WSPD, we have published a mini collection of articles linking to original research from Sociology of Health & Illness journal:
- Doing ‘being on the edge’: the dilemma of being authentically suicidal in an online forum
Article by Judith Horne to accompany 2009 paper, Doing being ‘on the edge’: managing the dilemma of being authentically suicidal in an online forum
- Update: Us too! Why it’s time to give female death by suicide some serious sociological attention!
Updated article by Sharon Mallon linking to research paper from 2016, An exploration of integrated data on the social dynamics of suicide among women .
- Transforming Despair into Hope
Article by Marcus Redley revealing some thoughts and observations behind the 2003 research paper, Towards a new perspective on deliberate self-harm in an area of multiple deprivation.
To find out more about #WSPD, please visit the IASP website.
IASP is dedicated to:
- preventing suicidal behaviour,
- alleviating its effects, and
- providing a forum for academics, mental health professionals, crisis workers, volunteers and suicide survivors.
Founded in 1960, IASP includes professionals and volunteers from 77 countries. IASP is a Non-Governmental Organization concerned with suicide prevention.
If you or someone you know needs help, IASP’s Help resources can be browsed to find crisis centers anywhere in the world.