If we think about it diagnostically, somewhere there is a line drawn in the sand . . . and where that line is changes really, historically. Consultant Clinical Psychiatrist A sociology of diagnosis approach considers the place of diagnosis in the institution of medicine and the social framing of disease definitions. Considering diagnosis as a social process rather than a ‘moment of clinical purity’ allows investigation into the social forces that may shape diagnosis and the cultural discourses drawn upon....
- Urban Planning for TransitionsToday, as cities undergo rapid and dynamic transformations, riddled with uncertainties about the future, the roles of urban planning and urban planners lie in one of these new crossroad moments. Climate change, urban migration, social inclusion, health emergencies and financial and economic crises have elevated urbanization to newer heights of complexity that can only […]Nicolas Douay (Editor), Michael Minja (Editor)
- The Gamification of SocietyThe applications of gamification and the contexts in which game elements can be successfully incorporated have grown significantly over the years. They now include the fields of health, education, work, the media and many others. However, the human and social sciences still neglect the analysis and critique of gamification. Research conducted in this area […]Stephane Le Lay (Editor), Emmanuelle Savignac (Editor), Jean Frances (Editor), Pierre Lenel (Editor)
- The Ungovernable Society: A Genealogy of Authoritarian LiberalismRebellion was in the air. Workers were on strike, students were demonstrating on campuses, discipline was breaking down. No relation of domination was left untouched – the relation between the sexes, the racial order, the hierarchies of class, relationships in families, workplaces and colleges. The upheavals of the late 1960s and early 1970s quickly […]Gregoire Chamayou, Andrew Brown (Translated by)
- Why declining church attendance sharpens cultural backlash
- To Do What You Love, Or Not? Employment and the Dominant Ideology of Work Passion
- Making it easier for authors to publish their research in a Wiley sociology or social welfare journal
- The economic and distributional impacts of affordable housing
- Researchers should do more to bring their findings to society: the case of ADHD-medication
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.