By rbobbitt Children in Tijuana, Mexico went about their normal morning routine on a school day only to be confronted with twelve dead bodies dumped in the field directly across from their school. At other times, students have had to flee school in a panic as gunfights have broken out between police and drug traffickers. In Tijuana alone, 99 bodies have been discovered since September 26th in a rash of violence that has a death toll higher than that of...
- On the State: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1989 - 1992What is the nature of the modern state? How did it come into being and what are the characteristics of this distinctive field of power that has come to play such a central role in the shaping of all spheres of social, political and economic life?In this major work the great sociologist Pierre Bourdieu addresses […]Pierre Bourdieu
- Grammatical Number in Welsh: Diachrony and TypologyThe first comprehensive treatment of grammatical number in Welsh - an intriguing, yet relatively neglected area in the study of number phenomena. Read More...Silva Nurmio
- Prospective Philosophy of Software: A Simondonian StudyComputer software (operating systems, web browsers, word processors, etc.) structure our daily lives. Comprising both a user interface and the electronic circuits of the machine it is printed to, software represents a hybrid object at the crossroads of materiality and immateriality. But is it, strictly speaking, a technical object ? By examining the status […]Coline Ferrarato
- The Sociology of Medical Guidelines
- ‘If there were doctors who could understand our problems, I would already be better’: dissatisfactory health care and marginalisation in superdiverse neighbourhoods
- Money, markets and trade caused coronavirus pandemic
- The lack of common sense in disorder thinking
- ‘Women of my age tend to drink’: Understanding how older Australian and Danish women negotiate the pleasures and risks of their alcohol use
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.