The first week of the conference has come to an end, and the final day has included two exciting papers, as well as a publishing workshop. The first paper entitled ‘Full Disclosure of the “Raw Data” of Research on Humans: Citizens’ Rights, Product Manufacturer’s Obligations and the Quality of the Scientific Database’ was presented by Dennis Mazur (Oregon Health and Sciences University). In his lecture, Mazur highlights the difficult and contentious issues involved in human testing, particularly the tensions between...
- The Early FoucaultIt was not until 1961 that Foucault published his first major book, History of Madness. He had already been working as an academic for a decade, teaching in Lille and Paris, writing, organizing cultural programmes and lecturing in Uppsala, Warsaw and Hamburg. Although he published little in this period, Foucault wrote much more, some […]Stuart Elden
- Culture and Art: Selected Writings, Volume 1The sociological imagination and the artistic imagination have been historically intertwined, at once reciprocal and conflicting, complementary and tensional. This connection is nowhere more apparent than in the work of Zygmunt Bauman. His conception and practice of sociology were always infused with a literary and artistic sensibility. He wrote extensively on the relationship between […]Zygmunt Bauman, Dariusz Brzezinski (Introduction), Thomas C. Campbell (Introduction), Mark Davis (Introduction), Jack Palmer (Introduction), Katarzyna Bartoszynska (Translated by)
- The Early Foucault
- Local Contexts, Global Movements: How Place Shapes Online Social Movements
- Emotional Labor, Social Movements, and Being a Bad Feminist
- The fluid nature of rural ethnic identity: encounters between non-Roma and Roma people in a Central-Eastern European context
- Transitions from care to adulthood: exploring historical narratives
- Is America Coming Apart?
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.