Last summer, I was sent a message from a complete stranger through OkCupid, asking if I would like to meet him for a no-strings attached snog*. The message went like this: You know when you’re sitting on the tube, on a bus, or even at your desk at work and someone walks past and you think: god damn, I wish I could just snog them right now. I mean, it happens on the screen all the time doesn’t it?...
- The Social Causes of Health and DiseaseThis stimulating book has become a go-to text for understanding the role that social factors play in the experience of health and many diseases. This extensively revised and updated third edition offers the most compelling case yet that stress, poverty, unhealthy lifestyles, and unpleasant living and work conditions can all be directly associated with illness. The […]William C. Cockerham
- Sociology of the Arts: Exploring Fine and Popular Forms, 2nd EditionExplains the key concepts, theories, and studies in the sociology of the artsthe fully updated new edition of the classic textbook Sociology of the Arts is a comprehensive yet accessible review of sociological approaches to studying the fine, popular, and folk arts. Integrating scholarly literature, theoretical models, and empirical studies, this authoritative textbook provides balanced coverage of a broad range of essential topicsenabling a […]Victoria D. Alexander
- The New Latin AmericaLatin America has experienced a profound transformation in the first two decades of the 21st century: it has been fully incorporated into the global economy, while excluding regions and populations devalued by the logic of capitalism. Technological modernization has gone hand-in-hand with the reshaping of old identities and the emergence of new ones. The transformation […]Fernando Calderon, Manuel Castells, Ramsey McGlazer (Translator)
- This Cannot Be White-washed
- Race and Racism in the NHS
- Is ADHD diagnosis flawed? Younger children in a school year group are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD globally
- Body-worn cameras do not have clear or consistent effects on most officer or citizen behaviors, but more evaluation is needed.
- Populism, policy and pandemics
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.