In the last two months, many if not most of the major American media outlets have seemingly become obsessed with the family behind the reality television series “Jon and Kate Plus 8.” What began innocently enough as a simple reality television show documenting the lives of a family struggling to provide for eight children suddenly became one of the most talked about shows on American television, with reportedly almost ten million viewers tuning into the season premiere on Memorial Day...
- Poverty, 2nd EditionPoverty remains one of the most urgent issues of our time. In this fully updated edition of her important and widely acclaimed intervention on the topic, Ruth Lister introduces readers to the meaning and experience of poverty in the contemporary world.The book opens with a lucid discussion of current debates around the definition and […]Ruth Lister
- Value'Value' seems like an elusive and abstract concept. Nonetheless, notions of value underpin how we understand our lives, from discussions about the economic contribution of different kinds of work and productive activity, to the prices we pay for the things we consume. So what is value, and where does it come from?In this new […]Frederick Harry Pitts
- Sociology For Dummies, 2nd EditionUnderstand how society worksand how to make it betterIt’s impossible to exist in the contemporary world without being aware that powerful social forces, ideas, and movements#MeToo, climate change, and Black Lives Matter to name just a feware having far-reaching impacts on how we think and live. But why are they happening? And what are […]Jay Gabler
- Engaging diversities in a changing world: welcome to the new editors of Children & Society
- The Contested Ground of Science, Politics, and Religion
- “This Year I Will…”: Personal Resolutions and the Near Future
- The Cost of Pollutants: Environmental Hazards, Racial Residential Segregation, and Health
- A Covid Cry: adjusting, adapting & extending
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.