By rbobbitt Children in Tijuana, Mexico went about their normal morning routine on a school day only to be confronted with twelve dead bodies dumped in the field directly across from their school. At other times, students have had to flee school in a panic as gunfights have broken out between police and drug traffickers. In Tijuana alone, 99 bodies have been discovered since September 26th in a rash of violence that has a death toll higher than that of...
- Alternative Takes to the CityAlternative Takes to the City presents the mosaic of relations and socio-spatial conditions which compose the plurality of contemporary everyday space(s) in cities, offering "a view from below". It proposes a multidisciplinary and gendered approach to the (relational) spatialities and temporalities of the everyday, of new mobilities and of global and local networks which […]Irini Micha (Editor), Dina Vaiou (Editor)
- Kinship, Ecology and History: Renewal of ConjuncturesThe analysis of kinship plays a major role in social anthropology. However, the intellectual triumph of structuralism has transformed this analysis into an ivory tower and the methodological hegemony of functionalism inhibits any historical authority. Kinship, Ecology and History informs the reader of these old, yet long-lasting issues. By presenting new, original perspectives, this […]Laurent Dousset, Sejin Park, Georges Guille-Escuret
- Words Derived from Old Norse in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: An Etymological Survey, Volume 1The most rigorous description ever undertaken of the Scandinavian influence on the vocabulary of a major Middle English text, and a new model for the collection and analysis of Norse loans in any English source. Read More...Richard Dance
- How do refugee organizations communicate about forcibly displaced people?
- How can we foster positive outcomes for children and young people in care, and what can we learn from ‘success’ stories?
- The Humanities in Technology: What Kind of World Do We Want?
- LSE Sociology Public Lecture: Professor Marion Fourcade on Ordinal Citizenship
- Rethinking Old Authoritarianisms
Subscribe to our alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.