It is now half a century since the small uprising in the village of Naxalbari in West Bengal led to the spread of a Maoist inspired revolutionary armed struggle in India, that is still ongoing. But with the Indian state now bent on crushing these Naxalites, and with the more general challenges faced by parliamentary communist parties across India, the question of how to analyse the agrarian economy – the basis of left strategy for a communist society in many...
- Motives of corporate political donations: industry regulation, subjective judgement and the origins of pragmatic and ideological corporations
- Preface to an Interventions Forum on Contextual Urban Theory and The ‘Appeal’ of Gentrification
- Contextual Urban Theory and the ‘Appeal’ of Gentrification: Lost in Transposition?
- Beneath the Appearance of Gentrification: Probing Local Complexities
- Robert J. Chaskin and Mark L. Joseph 2015: Integrating the Inner City: The Promise and Perils of Mixed-income Public Housing Transformation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
- Peter Herrle, Astrid Ley and Josefine Fokdal (eds.) 2015: From Local Action to Global Networks: Housing the Urban Poor. Farnham: Ashgate
- Amale Andraos, Nora Akawi and Caitlin Blanchfield (eds.) 2016: The Arab City: Architecture and Representation. New York: Columbia Books on Architecture and the City, Columbia University Press
- Filip de Boeck and Sammy Baloji 2016: Suturing the City. Living Together in Congo’s Urban Worlds. London: Autograph ABP
- The Wiley Blackwell Companion to the Sociology of FamiliesWritten by an international team of experts, this comprehensive volume investigates modern-day family relationships, partnering, and parenting set against a backdrop of rapid social, economic, cultural, and technological change. Read More...Judith Treas (Editor), Jacqueline Scott (Editor), Martin Richards (Editor)
- American Politics and Society, 9th EditionNow in its ninth edition, this popular introduction tackles the most recent trends in American politics and society through explanation, analyses, and interpretations of government processes – adding valuable context for students by considering these procedures and developments from an international perspective. Read More...David McKay
- The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Political GeographyThe Wiley Blackwell Companion to Political Geography aims to account for the intellectual and worldly developments that have taken place in and around political geography in the last 10 years. Bringing together established names in the field as well as new scholars, it highlights provocative theoretical and conceptual debates on political geography from a […]John A. Agnew (Editor), Virginie Mamadouh (Editor), Anna Secor (Editor), Joanne Sharp (Editor)
- An enduring genetic imaginary?
- “Digital Sociology: The Reinvention of Social Research”. Noortje Marres on how digital technology contributes to sociology.
- The company you keep: Is socialising with higher-status people bad for mental health?
- Collection on Populism: Free Content Collection
- Decolonizing ‘Financial Literacy’
Subscribe to our e-alerts
Energy colonialism and the role of the global in local responses to new energy infrastructures in the UK
Video abstract for the paper by Susana Batel and Patrick Devine-Wright (University of Exeter) Read the paper here.